Western National Health Insurance Company
A review of Western National Health Insurance Company finds the Western National Insurance Group of Edina, Minnesota. Western National Insurance Group is the parent company of nine other property and casualty insurance providers. These companies provide a variety of personal and commercial policies, but none of them offers health insurance coverage.
Enter your ZIP into the free toolbox on this page in order to shop from health insurance quotes from several insurance providers in your area!
Western National’s family of companies offer insurance coverage for individuals and businesses, including:
- Workers compensation
- Property insurance policies
Three of its nine subsidiaries are recent acquisitions, and the company has an eye to continue expanding in the future. The company’s policies are sold solely through independent insurance agents.
Western National Insurance Group Contact Information
Western National Insurance Group has offices in both Minnesota and Seattle, Washington, with its headquarters at the Minnesota location. For general correspondence, you can send it to:
5350 West 78th Street
Edina, Minnesota 55439
Local phone number: 952-835-5350
Each of Western National’s subsidiaries also has a general contact address and phone number, which can be found on their individual company websites, or through the link on the “Contact Us” page on Western National’s website.
Western National Insurance Group History
Western National Insurance Group was founded in 1900 as Mutual Creamery and Cheese Factory Fire Insurance Company of Minnesota. As the name implies, the company was formed to help protect the members of a creamery and cheese cooperative group from fire loss or damage to their business property and products.
Within the next 25 years, the cooperative members also founded two other insurance companies, one to protect them from liability and the other to insure them against damage from tornadoes. In 1953, the companies merge to create the Mutual Creamery Insurance Company.
Big changes happen to the company in 1955, when it decides to offer coverage to people who aren’t members or the cheese or creamery coop. It also expands its lines to include automobile and homeowner’s insurance. Additionally, Mutual Creamery Insurance begins to offers its products through independent agents.
The Western National name comes into use in 1970, and the company moves to Edina. The four years from 2007 to 2010 prove to be a time of expansion for Western National, with its purchase of seven other insurance companies. Today, the company does business in 12 states, in the Southwest, Northwest, and Midwest United States.
Western National Insurance Group Products
Western National Insurance Group offers personal insurance policies for:
- Condominium owners
- Dwelling property
- Recreational vehicles such as boats, snowmobiles, and ATVs
- Umbrella coverage
Its commercial insurance coverage includes:
- General liability
- Employment practices liability
- Inland marine
- Workers compensation
- Surety bonds
- Umbrella policies
The company offers individuals many ways to qualify for discounts on their insurance policies and premiums. These discounts include the usual:
- Multiple vehicles
- Defensive driving
- Good student
- Annual policy
However, the company also offers some more unique discounts. These include:
- Family Discount – gives the same auto insurance discount as a multi-vehicle policy, even if the cars are owned by resident family members on separate Western National policies
- Age of Systems Discount – offered on homeowners insurance for plumbing, electrical, or heating and cooling systems that are less than ten years old
- Corporate Vehicle Discount – for company vehicles that are used for both personal and business purposes
- Common Loss Deductible – if you have more than one policy with Western National Insurance Group, this discount lets you choose just the highest deductible on a policy when an incident involves more than one policy
Western National Insurance Group Careers
Although Western National has two locations and nine subsidiaries, the Careers section of its website currently only lists three job openings: two in Edina and one in Seattle:
- One is for a claims representative
- One is for a contract surety underwriter
- One is for a lead systems engineer
To apply for one of these jobs, follow the directions on the website, which include e-mailing, faxing, or mailing your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.
As part of its benefits package to employees, Western National Insurance Group offers:
- Long-term care
- Life insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for childcare and healthcare
- 401(k) with company match
- Dental coverage
- Prescription drug plan
- Reimbursement account for adoption expenses
- Tuition reimbursement for insurance classes and seminars
The company also offers a discount on auto and homeowner’s insurance coverage to employees who qualify.
Western National is a big supporter of its local community, contributing both money and needed supplies to groups like Habitat for Humanity. It also encourages its employees to do charitable deeds, matches their contributions to qualified non-profits, and pays them for a day of volunteering.