Teachers Health Insurance Company of America
A review of the Teachers Health Insurance Company of America finds Teachers Insurance Company, a member of the Horace Mann Educators Corporation. Through Teachers Insurance Company, as well as other insurance subsidiaries, Horace Mann offers:
- Homeowners insurance
- Retirement products
Unfortunately, it does not sell health insurance policies.
Horace Mann markets its products to educators throughout the nation. The company was founded in 1945 by educators with the purpose of providing those in the education field with financial stability through a range of products. The company continues to support teachers, not just with its products, but also through the funding of scholarships and a Fellowship program.
Horace Mann Educators Corporation Contact Information
Horace Mann is headquartered in Illinois at:
1 Horace Mann Plaza
Springfield, Illinois 62715
To mail correspondence or payment to the company, please use the following P.O. boxes:
- Auto insurance payments – P.O. Box 19463
- Property insurance payments – P.O. Box 19464
- Annuities payments – P.O. Box 4657
- Reimbursement receipts for rental and roadside assistance – P.O. Box 19223
Life insurance payment should be sent to the corporate address above.
Horace Mann Educators Corporation Products
As mentioned, Horace Mann Educators Corporation sells coverage for:
- Disability income
Its auto insurance has many options, including:
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist
- Personal injury protection
The company also has many discounts for its car insurance policies, including:
- Multi-line discount
- Good student discount
- National Education Association (NEA) membership discounts
- Educator’s discount
Customers who pay their premium through automatic payroll deductions get a discount, as well as customers who are also members of a credit union.
One add-on option for a Horace Mann auto insurance policy is the company’s Educator Advantage® coverage, which further protects teachers by:
- Giving them liability protection if they transport students in their personal vehicle
- Waiving the deductible on a comprehensive policy if the teacher’s vehicle is vandalized on or near school property
- Fully replacing a new car if it’s declared a total loss in its first year
Educator Advantage® also broadens an Emergency Road Service policy, which must be purchased separately.
Additional auto insurance plans offered by the company are:
- Liability Plus
- Auto Plan Plus One and Plus Family
- Emergency Road Service and Rental Reimbursement
- Motor Club
Horace Mann’s property insurance policies include:
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Identity theft services
The company’s experience and familiarity with teachers and their needs is apparent in its NEA Homeowners Program, which offers extra coverage to NEA members at no additional cost on their homeowners’ policy.
These extra benefits are:
- Coverage up to $500 for school fundraising cash or products in the homeowner’s possession
- Coverage of $3,000 for computers and programs used by a full-time student in your home
- Coverage of $3,000 for electronic or audiovisual equipment, or computers and software, used in educational activities away from home
Membership in the NEA also entitles a policyholder to a discount on their property insurance. Other discounts are given for:
- Homes constructed in the last ten years
- Multi-policy coverage
- Moving from a rental to a home insurance policy with the company
- Having no claims in the last six years
- Having fire and theft devices in your home
Life insurance options are the standard term or whole life policies, while disability income insurance will help protect your income when you become disabled from a covered illness or accident.
Horace Mann Educators Corporation Ratings
The Horace Mann Educators Corporation has received a financial strength rating of “A-“, or “Excellent” from insurance industry rating giant A.M. Best Company, which has also assigned it an “a-” for its issuer credit rating. A.M. Best sees Horace Mann as having a stable outlook, which is a good sign (along with the other two ratings) that the insurance provider will be in business long into the future.
The Better Business Bureau has given Horace Mann an “A+” grade for its corporate headquarters location. While the company had 30 complaints filed against it since November 2008, the BBB was satisfied with Horace Mann’s handling of the complaints.
If you’re considering purchasing insurance policies from Horace Mann, you can rest assured that it should be around down the road, when you need to cash out any of your insurance policies after years of paying into them. It also appears that the company is prompt in handling and resolving any customer complaints with its products and services.
Health insurance is one of the most important ways to protect yourself and those you love. Start by perusing health insurance quotes from providers in your area — just type your ZIP into the box below!