Providence Washington Health Insurance Company
Providence Washington Insurance Company is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States. Founded in 1799 and based in Providence, Rhode Island, it covers 15 states, mostly on the East Coast.
To find health insurance information, type in your zip code and you will get information on health insurance quotes tailored to your particular needs.
In 2004, after several years of financial losses, the company failed to raise the capital it needed to survive, and was unable to find a buyer. Consequently, it stopped issuing new policies while continuing to service the existing ones. It named Jeffrey S. Mack as its Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner. With more than 25 years of experience in the insurance field, Mr. Mack has restructured the company which works now with self-insurers, insurance companies and law firms.
If you live in Rhode Island, and are looking for health insurance coverage, you might be interested in the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island.
The Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island
Started in 1993 by local community health centers, the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island’s original mission was to work with families and children in the Medicaid Program. It later expanded its services to cover children with healthcare needs and older patients covered with Medicare and Medicaid, and finally added adults with special needs. Under the direction of Mark E. Reynolds, who became CEO in 2005, the overriding goal of the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island remains the same:
- To provide excellent and affordable health care to its members
- To advocate for them
- Treat everyone with respect and dignity
From its inception to 2010, it has been in the top ten Medicaid health plans in the U.S.A., according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance, and its revenue has grown 112 percent in the last five years. It now has more than 75,000 members.
The Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island has 225 employees, and they come from a diverse background and possess a wide range of experience. With more than 30 nurses and social workers among them, they strive to create an equitable and effective health care system for their clients. You can reach the Neighborhood Health Plan at 1-800-459-6019.
The Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island’s Goals
- To keep its members in good health through healthcare check-ups and educational programs centered on healthy living habits
- To provide expecting mothers with guidance and good care throughout their pregnancy
- To help people with chronic illnesses manage their condition
- To help members find the information they need in order to be active partners in their healthcare
Important Initiatives of the Neighborhood Health Plan:
- Innovative behavioral health services to reduce the number of initial hospital visits
- A focus on Transition of Care programs to decrease the number of hospital re-admissions
- Strong emphasis on electronic health recordkeeping
- A generic drug use rate of between 80-89 percent
The Neighborhood Health Plan has a network of more than 900 primary care physicians and 2700 specialists. It works with all the hospitals and more than 80 percent of all pharmacies in the state of Rhode Island.
Health Insurance through the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island
Members of the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island are eligible to receive low-cost health insurance coverage within the RIte Care program which serves the following populations:
- Families with children
- Children up to the age of 19
- Pregnant women
- Adults with disabilities
- Children with special needs
Members with a family income that is less than 150 percent of the FPL (federal poverty level) do not have to pay a monthly premium. For members above 150 percent of the FPL, the monthly payments range from $91 to $122.
- Over-the counter-medicines at no cost with a prescription from your doctor
- Interpreter services
- Transportation services if you qualify
- Regular check-ups
- Availability of doctors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Special nurse care managers to advocate for you and help you get the care you need
- Special health programs for pregnant women, including childbirth education and parenting classes
- Special programs for people with chronic diseases like diabetes or asthma
Special benefits for Children with Special Needs
When you qualify for RIte Care as a member of the Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island, a nurse care manager can help you receive services like:
- Visits with specialists
- Medical equipment and supply delivered to your home
- Social care coordinators to provide assistance with housing, electricity or food needs
- Multi-lingual Customer Specialists
If it is health insurance quotes you need, just enter your zip code in the free rates box right now.